gengo-chan

Информация о пользователе

Привет, Гость! Войдите или зарегистрируйтесь.

Вы здесь » gengo-chan » айны: история и антропология » Ainu - Jomon

Ainu - Jomon

Сообщений 1 страница 21 из 21

Neil Gordon Munro Prehistoric Japan:
(most interesting quotes)

p.: 665

The main points advanced against the Ainu origin of the primitive sites were that they did not make pottery, nor use stone implements and pit dwellings; the patterns on their wooden implements were supposed to exhibit little or no resemblance to those of neolithic pottery. Later research, however, has proved that pit dwellings have been used by the Ainu of Saghalin and the Kuriles, that they have

p. 666

used pottery and stone implements and that difference between the patterns of the Ainu and of the stone phase is less than has been stated, and can be readily accounted for.

p. 668
The failure of philology to establish an Aryan race warns us that language shares with the gross vestiges

p. 669
of culture the stigma of unrealiability. When, therefore, we find many localities where shellheaps exist bearing names traceable to Ainu roots, we can only assume that persons using the same language as the Ainu were formerly established in such places.

Ōmori, for instance, is generally supposed to be of Japanese origin, and to refer to a large wood or forest. But in suggesting that the name of this locality (which derives special interest from having been the firts shellmound in Japan to yield up its treasures to scientific reserach) comes from two Ainu words 'O' "projecting" and Mori a "little hill", I am stating a topographical fact of much interest to a primitive people. A rising ground in the neighbourhood of the sea was of prime importance to the shell-mound builders. Here the village was safe from tidal waves and enjoyed a better strategical position than if built on the lower levels.

p. 672
... by the comparison of individual

p. 673
features that i established the identity of Japanese shellmound and Ainu crania and was led to the conclusion that they are of the same stock.

Prof. Koganei, who is at present carrying out an investigation of my specimens, has kindly drawn for me diagraphic outlines of No. 2 and an Ainu skull, which I have superimposed, Fig. 420
http://i42.tinypic.com/15xweb6.gif
The comparison of two isolated crania, it will be understood, is only made by way of illustration. The same degree of correspondence is not found in all the specimens any more than among the Ainu crania.

ニール・ゴードン・マンローに現されたアイヌと縄文の関係の証拠

『先史時代の日本』1911

(ここには一番面白くて重要な引用表わされていた)

665頁

先史的な遺跡のアイヌの起源に対して高度な要点は、アイヌが陶磁器を作らず、石器と竪穴住居を使用しないということであった。アイヌの木製の道具の飾り物は、新石器時代の陶磁器の飾り物との類似点をほとんど示さないことと思われた。或いはアイヌの飾り物と新石器の飾り物は全然別個 の物であると思われた。しかしながら、後の研究は、竪穴住居は千島アイヌと樺太アイヌに使用されたことを証明した。そして、

666頁

陶磁器および石器を使っていた。そして、アイヌの飾り物と新石器時代の差は以前述べた差より小さかったと分かられて来た。その容易に説明することができまる。

668頁

言語学のインドヨーロッパの人種の確立の失敗は、同様に言語に物質文化の

669頁

人工品にも恃むことができないと私たちに警告しる。 したがって、沢山貝塚有る場所の地名はアイヌの語根に元を辿られることができる場合、私たちはアイヌと同じ言語を使用していた人々が以前その場所に定住していたと単に考えることがでる。

例えば、大森「おおもり」は日系であり、大きな森それとも大きな森林を参照すると一般に思われる。この地点の名前はアイヌの2単語から来る「O」「オ」「突き出る物」、「Mori」「モリ」「小さな丘」、私は原始な民族に多く興味ある地形の事実を述べている。(その場所には日本の最初の貝塚が見つかったので、その場所は科学用の真実の宝である。)海のそばにある高台は貝塚建築者に最重要の事柄である。ここで、村は高波から安全で、そして、低いレベルに構築されれば村の戦略の位置よりいいの戦略の位置を楽しんだ。

672頁

個々の特徴の

673頁
比較で私は、日本の貝塚の頭蓋およびアイヌの頭蓋の同一を確立して、それらが同じストックであるという結論ヘ導かれた。小金井教授(今その方は私の標本の調査をしています)は、私のために第2番頭蓋および或るアイヌ頭蓋の輪郭を親切に描いてくれました。私はその輪郭を図420に置いた。2つの分離された頭蓋の比較、それは理解されるであろう、実例で単に作られた。

+1

Neil Gordon Munro Prehistoric Japan

Chapter XV

The Prehistoric Races

p. 655 Fig. 412

http://i39.tinypic.com/10oe0ba.jpg
A Group of Ainu

p. 656,
Fig. 413
http://i39.tinypic.com/4m4w8.jpg
An Aged Ainu

p. 657
Fig. 414
http://i42.tinypic.com/1el6rl.jpg
An Ainu

p. 660

http://uploads.ru/t/D/u/W/DuWFT.jpg

p. 661

From time immemorial the Japanese islands have been occupied by a population carrying on that life cycle, which, from its comparatively rudimentary natures, has been called Primitive. These inhabitants, as certain remains testify, formerly possessed also the west and south, but were compelled to retreat by the pressure of the alien Yamato. The Ainu, sole survivors of the primitive inhabitants, now number about 15,000 in Yezo, 2000 in Saghalin and a few hundreds in the Kurile islands. This residue forms a race of fairly uniform characteristics, sufficiently so to distinguish them from other races, though they are a blend of two, or perhaps more, stocks.
They are generally supposed to be excessively hairy, a feature which is exaggerated by contrast with the Japanese. They are more hairy than the average European, Figs 412, 413 and 414*. But persons with heads of untrimmed hair, and aged people, whose bodies are naturally more hirsute than those of middle age, are apt to convey an undue impression of hairness. The hair of the Ainu is distinctly
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
*The last kindly given by H.G. Ponting, whose artistic work has done much to bring the interesting scenic and social features of Japan to the notice of the West

+1

p. 662

wavy, occasionally it is slightly curly. The skin is tanned in exposed sitiations but is rather lighter than that of average Japanese, though the latter include individuals of fairer complexion than I have seen among the Ainu. The face is broader than in the average European, the forehead low and often narrow, the orbits round, the eyes widely set, of a dark or light brown, or even green, colour showing but little of the falciform fold of skin from the upper eyelid to the nose, kmown as the Mongolian fold. The eyes have sof brilliancy and give to the countenance a pleasant and open expression. The height is below the average. According to Prof. Koganei the average height of male living Ainu is 1566 Mm. and of female 1468 Mm. Osteological characters will be briefly noted in comparison with those of bones from the primitive sites.
The Ainu must be held to have undergone some degeneration. Alcoholism and disease have added to the evils of the unsettled life consequent on a progressive dislocation from their settlements during two thousand years of vicissitude. Yet I am confident that they are capable of partaking a higher culture. Since the present period of Meiji, the Japanese government have permitted them to receive education, and of late years have provided schools in some localities. The children are proving capable and industrious scholars. The government has made special laws for Ainu protection, but these are occasionally evaded. The Ainu appear to be on excellent terms with the Japanese peasantry, but a little official encouragement and sympathy would do much to elevate them.

+1

p. 663

Before my dsicovery of skeletons at Mitsusawa, a few long bones from the primitive sites had been described by Koganei, but these did not furnish  sufficient data  for a comparative study of the neolithic and Ainu races. Much material relating to the primitive culture had, however, been gathered and gave rise to speculation. The presence of Ainu in the northern islands naturally suggested  an attempt to connect their culture with that of the shellmounds. But it was ascertained that the Ainu of Yezo did not make pottery, nor use the implements of stone which characterise the primitive sites. They also had a tradition that an alien folk of small stature, to which they had given the name of Koropok-guru or "dwellers below"  (and also the Japanese term Kohito or Kobito, meaning "little people, pigmies"), were responsible for the primitive sites of Yezo.
The Rev. J. Batchelor, who has resided many years in this island and knows the Ainu better than any one living, formerly accepted their story of the Koropok-guru and gave it publicity. As the result of a scholarly investigation into the place names of Yezo, which he had proved to be of Ainu origin, as Prof. Chamberlain did with some topographical names of the main island of Japan, Batchelor now favours the Ainu origin of the primitive sites in the north.
Prof. Tsuboi adopted this Koropok-guru theory and still upholds it. As he deservedly ranks as one of the highest authorities on Japanese archaeology, his advocacy of the view that the Ainu did not undergo a neolithic culture in Japan and that the shellheaps

p. 664

were not left by them but by a race akin to the Eskimo, requires some consideration.
I need scarcely point out that data regarding culture, though of value in tracing communication, direct or indirect, between various people, furnish by no means a reliable criterion of race. But the discussion which, owing to the limited evidence hitherto furnished by human remains, has been mainly confined to the industrial vestiges of the shellmound builders and the culture products of Ainu, cannot be called fruitless. For, not only has it resulted in much detailed information about these cultures, but as furnishing corroborative testimony, it has an important bearing on this problem.
Before glancing at the evidence thus tendered, let us first consider the Ainu myth as taken down by Batchelor from their own lips: - "In very ancient times, a race of people who dwelt in pits lived among us. They were so very tiny that ten of them could easily take shelter beneath one burdock leaf. When they went to catch herrings they used to make boats by sewing the leaves of bamboo grass (arundaria) together, and always fished with a hook. If a single herring was caught it took all the strength of the men of five boats, or ten sometimes, to hold it and drag it ashore, while whole crowds were required to kill it with their clubs and spears. Yet, strange to say, these divine little men used even to kill great whales. Surely pit-dwellers were gods."* Transparently mythical as this story is, the possibility that it was founded on remembrance

p. 665

of an alien people and culture harmonized with the absense of pit dwelling, stone implements and pottery-making among the present Ainu of Yezo, and seemed to account for the presence of such remains throughout Japan.
  Numerous instances, however, could be brought forward to show that an attempted explanation of forgotten vestiges is one of the most common forms of myths which testify to the explanation tendency of mankind. Here, too, relies of the past have their descriptive names, embodying the essence of myth. We have Kitsune no kuwa, or fox hoe, the Raifu, or thunder axe, the Raitsui, or thunder club, the Raiko, or thunder pestle and the Tengu no meishigai, or rice-spoon of the Tengu. In the northern districts of Japan the Yamato dolmen is sometimes called Yezo no Iwaya, or stonehouse of Yezo (barbarian). In the province of Mutsu the ancient Yamato pottery (Iwaibe) is called Namban Yake, i.e. South Barbarian pottery.* The Ainu speak of dwarfs; ancient Japanese attributed the shell-heaps to giants.
The main points advanced against the Ainu origin of the primitive sites were that they did not make pottery, nor use stone implements and pit dwellings; the patterns of their wooden implements were supposed to exhibit little or no resemblance to those of the neolithic pottery. Later research, however, has proved that pit dwellings have been used by the Ainu of Saghalin and the Kuriles, that they have
______________________________________________________________________________________
* T. J. Z. No. 10.

p. 666

used pottery and stone implements and that teh difference between the patterns of the Ainu* and of the stone phase is less than has been stated, and can be readily accounted for.
  When pottery was found in the Kuriles, its coarse and unornamental character and handles inside some of pans were believed to indicate another culture than that which produced the ornate ware of the shell-mounds. But iron pots with handles inside have been found in Yezo and corresponding vessels of clay might have been copied therefrom. I have also shown that the idea of inside handles was not unknown to the neolithic potters. It is probable that a decadent art of pottery-making borrowed  from the iron model or from the birch-bark pan, a convenient method suspension which had long been forgotten. Admitting that this pottery differs from the decorated ware of primitive sites, it is not at all inconsistent with the statement of history about Yezo or Ainu. On the contrary, the persistence of a few samples of a degenerate art, all reduce to the level of bare necessity, is entirely in keeping with the history and present condition of the Ainu. Driven from their villages, broken in spirit and reduced to a precarious existence in the inhospitable climate of Yezo, it is little wonder that the higher products of fictile art were abandoned for the durable iron pots of Japanese or Siberian manufacture, or for improvised pans of bark. With iron knives, too, which they were permitted to receive

p. 667

in barter with the Japanese, it became a comparatively easy matter to make bowls of wood and to fashion other utensils and implements of this material. This could be carried on during the six months of snow, when pottery-making would be a difficult undertaking. Sei-net, or earthenware-body, is the Ainu term for the clay image, one of which, Fig. 146, was recognised as a "Divine image", while Sei-nima is an earthenware tray*. I received from an Ainu a broken piece of plate-like pottery which, he declared, had been made by his ancestors.
The tradition of the Yezo Ainu regarding the Koropok-guru is offset by one which credits themselves with the use of stone implements. The Rev. J. Batchelor has also informed me that an old Ainu term for tattooing incision was Anchi-piri, which means obsidian wound. The Kurile Ainu used implements of stone within the last hundred years, but iron has displaced them in Yezo for some two or more centuries and the decay of the neolithic culture began, in all probability, many centuries previously. That the "stone age" is recent in Yezo is shown by the fact that within the last thirty years, many axes and arrow-heads of stone have been found on the surface of the soil, or but slightly imbedded therein. An art like that of the neolithic tool-maker soon degenerates from contact with iron culture.
Some resemblance has been found between the harpoons of the primitive sites and those of the Eskimo. It might be thought that such correspondence extending, as Prof. Tsuboi maintains, to

"eye-guards," which are a special feature of Eskimo outfit, would create a probability in favour of similarity of race. The content of any one culture, however close its resemblance to another, involves no necessity of racial identity, yet such considerations might properly be employed to reinforce other evidence. in the absence of other evidence they might form the starting point of a working hypothesis but could not, in themselves, carry conviction. The interchange of products is the first result  of peaceful contact between alien peoples, sometimes followed by that of language and coincidently, or consecutively, of race. Some harpoons of the primitive cultures are like those of Eskimo, but others resemble paleolithic specimens from Europe, Fig. 29. A general resemblance, indeed, exists all over the world and often includes details of design and technique. Various arrow-heads of distinctive form are to be found in Japan, of which exact duplicates are seen in Europe and America. The axe, Fig. 16, No. 4, from my excavations at Mitsusawa, is rare in Europe and Japan, but the resemblance extends even to the picked surface for holding it in the shaft. Other instances have been adduced which show that propagation of culture is not necesssarily accompanied by admixture of race. Concerning the suggested resemblance to the "eye-guards" of the Eskimo, I have already given my opinion that the appearance in question is a conventional magnification of human eye.
The failure of philology to establish an Aryan race warns us that language shares with the gross vestiges

Fig. 420
http://i42.tinypic.com/15xweb6.gif
Outlines of Primitive and Ainu Crania

p. 669

of culture the stigma of unreliability. When, therefore, we find many localities where shellheaps exist bearing names traceable to Ainu roots, we can only assume that persons using the same language as the Ainu were formerly established in such places. Indeed we can scarcely insist on so much, for these roots might prove to be a heritage from a stock language common to the Japanese and Ainu. With regard to local names, however, we are assisted by the fact that Ainu place names are often descriptive of the locality. Ōmori, for instance, is generally supposed to be of Japanese origin, and to refer to a large wood or forest. But in suggesting that the name of this locality (which derives special interest from having been the firts shellmound in Japan to yield up its treasures to scientific research)* comes from two Ainu words 'O' "projecting" and Mori a "little hill", I am stating a topographical fact of much interest to a primitive people. A rising ground in the neighbourhood of the sea was of prime importance to the shell-mound builders. Here the village was safe from tidal waves and enjoyed a better strategical position than if built on the lower levels.
Supposing that the Koropok-guru were different from the Ainu but spoke their language or one akin to it, and left certain primitive vestiges in Japan, where have they gone? They have utterly vanished from human ken. In the Hokkaido, where some of Ainu still propound the pigmy theory which originated this discussion, no bones other than those of the Ainu have
___________________________________________________________________________________________
* To Professor Morse belongs the honour of being the pioneer of primitive archaeology in Japan. His excavation of his shell-mound was undertaken 30 years ago.

been disinterred from the soil. Neither in Honshu, nor in any other part of Japan, have the bones of a race distinctively alien to the Ainu been unearthed from the shell-mounds. On the contrary, the long bones hitherto found were stated by Prof. Koganei to resemble those of the Ainu in length and indices. The character of flatness (platycnemia) of the tibia was shown to be common to both, though as a feature of primitive tibiae it could not be held to specially indicate that race.
  Thinking that the Mitsusawa shell-mounds might overlie habitations or burials, I carried my trenches down to the red clay and, when occasion indicated, a few feet into this stratum. As these excavations proceed they have to cross the area between the habitations, so that beyond an entirely pulverised skeleton, and a disintegrated skull, no addition has been made to the number which I recorded in 1907.* There is every reason to believe that others will be found, but at present not more than six crania are presentable. Of these, one belongs to Dr. Takashima, an ancient collector, who kindly placed it in my hands for examination. Of the remaining five not more more than three are strictly available for estimating the crania index, but the over two may be included as giving an approximate indication, Fig. 415. In the case of No. 3 the lower portion of frontal bone was too much disintegrated for repair; in my former statement perhaps I did not make sufficient allowance for the probable length of this bone. The index was given as 80.2. It is not easy
__________________________________________________________________________________
* T. A. S. J. Vol. XXXIV; pt. II.

p. 671

to estimate the exact length and curvature of the missing portion: on my first measurement I made a possible index of 78.4 and a recent inspection inclined me to think that perhaps the index could be reduced still lower. It might, however, be advisable to retain the first one, or perhaps to regard the second as an alternative. These skulls had been repaired by myself with some assistance from Mr. Yagi, but having been sent to the Imperial University,* No. 6 was re-adjusted so that the index, though still dubious by reason of absence of the occipital bone, approaches (with the intention of giving the estimate least favourable to my opinion) stated. No. 4 having also been slightly readjusted, I make it a trifle more than my previous statement (78.6 instead of 78.4). These indices may now be taken as (1) = 75.8, (2) = 76.3, (3) = 78.4 (?) (4) = 78.6, (5) = 81.3 and (6) = 78.4 (?). Presuming the indices of Nos. 3 and 6 to be approximately correct, this would give an average for the six crania of about 78.1. According to the independent examination of Prof. Koganei the average is practically the same, viz. 78.4. The average for the four complete crania is about the same, viz. 78. While these indices are not inconsistent with the average given by Koganei for
____________________________________________________________________________________________
* These bones were forfarded to the Imperial University with the object of making a conjoint examination with Prof. Koganei. This has been unavoidably postponed and will form the subject of a separate treatise. I have therefore omitted detailed measurements, which are of little interest to the general reader. This delay is less to be regretted as I expect to get more material from my excavations. From his unparalleled collection and exhaustive analysis of their osteological remains, Prof. Koganei is the best authority on the physical anthropology of the Ainu. His concurrence in the opinion that the crania in question are of Ainu stock is therefore of considerable importance.

p. 672

158 Ainu crania, viz. 77, the series is altogether too small to prove more than accordance with the mesaticephaly of the Ainu. While a small series of markedly brachycephalic or dolichocephalic skulls might have a positive evidential value, as indicating race, this cannnot be said of mesaticephaly in a region where it is a common feature. For this reason I have laid greater stress upon certain characters which correspond with those of various investigators of the Ainu cranium and notably of Prof. Koganei in his large series of modern Ainu skulls.* Before referring to these, I may state that the average index of the present Ainu ascertained by this investigator was for males, 76.5, while for females it was 77.6. Of a series of 156 skulls, 25.6% were dolichocephalic (index up to 75.0), while 64.7% were mesaticephalic (76 to 80). Of 101 crania belonging to this latter group 44 had indices of 79 to 80. The brachycephalic crania were in a proportion of 9.6% of the total number. Out of 156 crania, 79 specimens (about half) showed cranial indices of 78 to 84, so that in a small series of 6 skulls the probabilities are not against a tendency toward brachycephaly. If we eliminate the female and child's crania (Nos. 5 and 6) and give to No. 3 the value of 78.4 we get an average of 77.2, while if we take the four skulls (found quite underneath the shell layers of my excavations), we get an average of 77.9.
  It was, however, by the comparison of individual

p. 673

features that I established the identity of the Japanese shellmound and Ainu crania and was led to the conclusion that they are of the same stock. In addition to his own extensive investigation, Prof. Koganei has given, in the work previously referred to, the results of observations on some Ainu skulls by Virchow, Tarenetzky and Kopernicki. The existence of this descriptive material greatly facilitated comparison between the primitive remains and the skeleton of the Ainu. It will be sufficient to give an outline of my preliminary examination. Prof. Koganei, who is at present carrying out an investigation of my specimens, has kindly drawn for me diagraphic outlines of No. 2 and of an ainu skull, which I have superimposed, Fig. 420. The comparison of two isolated crania, it will be understood, is only made by way of illustration. The same degree of correspondence is not found in all the specimens any more than among the ainu crania. There are some points of difference here which are not seen in others and vice versa.  Cranial uniformity is an ideal conception which is never quite realised. An almost constant feature, however, in these skulls, as in those of the Ainu is the prominence of the glabella and supersilliary ridges, G; the meagre denticulation too of the coronal and anterior saggital sutures, Fig. 415, is a common feature (though both present slight exceptions, No. 2) and so is a moderate development of the occipital protuberance and the superior curved line. There is a tendency to persistence of a frontal fissure, observe also in the Ainu skull.
In one case only, Figs. 416 - 7, was I able to nearly

p. 674

complete the facial skeleton, but in others the superior and inferior maxillary bones were in a fair state of preservation and enabled some observations to be made. With regard to the superior maxillary, the shallow canine fossa is a feature of these and of the Ainu skulls, while the regularity of the inferior (dental) border, the short space between this and the nasal spine, the marked palatal ridge (Torus Palatinus) and the numerous perforations for the passage of boodvessels are found in these and in those of the Ainu. The malar bone presents, in about half the specimens, a posterior fissure, Fig. 419, a truly remarkable feature which is frequently found in the Ainu skull. There is no extension forwards to complete the separation of this bone, the so-called Os Japonicum, often noticed in the Japanese but very rarely seen in the Ainu skull. The material at disposal is not yet sufficient to establish other characters, and only a preliminary examination has been made, but so far as they go, the nasal, orbital and palatal indices and the facial angle compare well with those of the Ainu. The minimum frontal diameter corresponds with that of the Ainu.*
The long bones present characters which are possessed by the Ainu in common with other primitive races. Of these, the most characteristic are, torsion
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
* The ratio between this and the greatest tranverse diameter yields an indication of head form perhaps as significant as the cranial index, so much in vogue. In Fig. 417, for instance the minimum frontal diameter is 98 Mm. and the greatest breadth is 142 Mm. This would give 98 *100/142 = 69.0. Taking the averages of Koganei for comparison, the head form of the Ainu would be expressed by 94.6*100/139.4 = 68.5.

p. 675

and perforation of the humerus, curvature of the ulna, channeled fibula, platycnemia of the tibia, Fig. 421 A, torsion of the femur with deep groove along the Linea Aspera (Femur a colonne) and tendency to a third trochanter.

http://uploads.ru/t/C/b/F/CbFJP.jpg

There is a tendency to channeling of the tibia, Fig. 421 B. The average length of the femur (1 female and two males = 6 bones) is 388 Mm. Using the coefficient of Manouvrier (3.92) for the male femur under 392 Mm, we get about 151 Cm. for the stature of one, while the other, which is above this limit, comes to about 160 Cm., according to the tables supplied by this authority.* The female (using the co-efficient 3.87) works out at a trifle over 138 Cm. By this standard, the height is therefore approximately the same as that of the Ainu.
The participation of the Ainu in the primitive culture does not deber us from assuming of existence of other races. The probability of other people having co-existed with the Ainu in the remote past diminishes with the evidence of their former prevalence throughout Japan and the fact that they  fiercely resisted intrusion on their soil. But we cannot yet eclude the possibility that other races carried on a neolithic culture in Japan. Several
___________________________________________________________________________________
* Mémoires de La Société d'Anthropologie 1893

p. 676

races co-exist in Saghalin, Formosa, the Philippines and many other islands. The approaches to Japan from the continent by Saghalin and Tsushima Straits, and from Malaysia and even Polynesia by the island course (such migration being presumptively favoured by the northward direction of the Black Stream), favour the notion that a mixed population reached Japan in prehistoric times.The primitive crania indicate, as do those of the Ainu, a certain admixture of races, but when, how, or where this occured is entirely a matter of conjecture. The Ainu have derived some characters from the Japanese but miscegenation has affected them to a less degree than the latter. The custom of killing their woman and children when retreat was cut off must have originated in their capture and probable enslavement at hands of Yamato, who thus received a modicum of Ainu stock. On the other hand the ethics of primitive people have always countenanced the destruction of progeny resulting from contact with alien or hostile neighbours. During the historic era, however, this practice was probably less imperative.
  The Japanese people are a mixture of several distinct stocks. negrito, Mongolian, Palasiatic and Caucasian features more or less blended, sometimes nearly isolated, are met with everywhere. The Negrito is the last prevalent. Prof. Baelz, who has drawn attention to this type along with the Malayan physiognomy, found it comparatively more pronounced in Kyushu, where a Malayan immigration is belived to have taken place. I am not

p. 677

prepared to say what ethnological significance attaches to the word malay, though attempts ahve been made to unravel the racial elements which underlie this political association, which came into orginized from long after the Wado period, when the Yamato had become the Japanese nation. The true Malays are regarded as having a considerable preponderance of Mongolian with a certain proportion of negrito characters. Several tribes of Malaysia who are more or less mixed with the historical Malays are of Indonesian, i.e. of Caucasian, affinities. R. Numata is inclined to believe, on the strength of some resamblance in culture vestiges, that the Kumaso afterwards known in Japanese history as Hayato were of Dyak (? Dayak - T.M.) origin.* The word Kumaso is capable of several of several interpretations, but the simplest and best is that of Motoori who traced it to Kuma, a bear, and So, an abbreviation of Isao, meaning "strong men". Motoori thought that this name was bestowed on the people of southern Kyushu on account of their fierce and hardly character, but it might have been a totem name, translated, or adopted into Japanese. It may be a coincedence that the bear is the great totem of the Ainu, but it is worthy of mention that Ainu place names have been found in Kyushu.
  If a people from Malaysia inhabited Kyushu  previous to the influx of the Yamato, it is probable that they were still in their stone phase. The bronze weapons found in this island have not been indentified with a Malayan culture and probably were of con-
________________________________________________________________________________________
* "Nihon Jinshu Shinron" (A New Opinion about the Japanese Race)

p. 678

tinental origin. Some of the intermediate pottery has been said to resemble taht of Malays, but on this matter I am unable to give an opinion. As we have seen, the Intermediate patterns approach those of Yamato, but the forms might have been derived from those employed by Malayan settlers in Kyushu. The point, however, of most interest is whether this so-called Malayan element in the Japanese was not formed in situ from coalescence of a primitive Negrito stock with Mongolian and other characters from the Continent. This question may be put, but no answer can be obtained without careful exploration of the remain in Kyushu and further knowledge of the anthropological and ethnographical feature characterises the great majority of Philippine Negritos.* To what extent this race has entered into the composition of the Japanese it is impossible to determine. That the Japanese have inherited an infusion of Mongolian characters goes without saying, but breadth of face intraorbital width, flat nose, prognatism and brachycephally in Europe appears to have been derived from that of Negro. Whether the Mongolian type itself might not have envolved in inter-glacial or post-glacial times in Asia from a Negrito ancestry is another question qhich cannot be answered in our present state of knowledge. But the existence of Mongolian fold, strait hair, and other charac-
__________________________________________________________________________________
* "Negritos of Zambales," by W. A. Reed. Ethnological Survey Publications. Manila, 1904.

p. 679

ters, may be attributed to admixture either in Japan or elsewhere after the type had materialised. It is not impossible that the Negrito was mingled with Indonesian or mongolian elements, as in the case of the Igorot of Philippines, before arrival in Japan. The agricultural population of Japan presents superficial resemblances to the Igorot, and some of the customs carry a suggestion of a common culture.* An affinity of language has also been hinted at, but on inadequate grounds at present.† It is probable, however, that the Yamato were partly mixed with Mongolian blood before arrival in Japan, and that the importation of agricultural slaves from the mainland led to further admixture with this element. The leaders, if we may judge from the Caucasian and often Semitic physiognomy seen in aristocratic type of Japanese, were partly of Caucasic, perhaps Iranian, origin. Some support of this proportion is found in the Haniwa, which not seldom exhibit features inclined to the Caucasian, rather than to the Mongolian type (Character 12). These were the warriors, the conquerors of Japan, and afterwards the aristocracy, modifified to some extent by mimgling with a Mongoloid rank and file and by a considerable addition of Ainu, that is to say, of papasiatic (proto-Caucasian?), blood. A light skin was the ideal of yamato. There are marked allusions to arms "while as the paper mulberry bark", "Whiteness like roots", etc. in the ancient classics. Presumably from racial admixture, very light skins are often found
______________________________________________________________________________________________
* "The Bontoc Igorrot", by A. E. Jenks, pp. 40 aet seq. Eth. Survey Publications.
† "The Nabaloi Dialect", by O. Scheerer, p. 99. Eth. Survey Publications.

p. 680

with the round and somewhat Mongolian face, but the combination of rather light complexion and Semitic physiognomy is not uncommon. The average haed form is mesaticephalic with a tendency to sub-brachycephaly, whereas the Mongolian TYPE is highly brachycephalic. The Japanese are not a race but a loose mixture of variously assorted racial features which in times past have found their way to this Ultima Thule of Asia.

__________________________________________________

Вы здесь » gengo-chan » айны: история и антропология » Ainu - Jomon

Создать форум. Создать магазин